(Picture is available for purchase from ElouiseRenouf on Etsy)
I had the urge to bake on Sunday. I really fancied making a Victoria sponge, but came up with some additions which have made it AMAZING! A little bit of marmalade and dark chocolate make it very Jaffa cake-like.Ingredients
For the cake
- Weigh 3 eggs – use this weight to measure out equivalent amounts of the following
- Self raising flour
- Caster sugar
- Vanilla extract
For the topping
- Orange marmalade
- One bar of good dark chocolate
- Cream margarine and caster sugar.
- Add in the beaten eggs slowly (one tablespoon at a time) and mix.
- Add in half a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Sieve in the flour and stir in gently using the “round the world and down the middle” method to make it nice and fluffy.
- Add your mix to a lined round tin and bake at around 180 deg c for 18 mins and then keen an eye on it until a skewer comes out clean. My original recipe for this cake says 18 minutes, but it took way more than that this time round, so keep an eye on it.
- Take the cake out of the tin and while still warm, use about 2 tablespoons of marmalade to completely cover the top of the cake.
- Once cooled, melt the dark chocolate and drizzle all over. If you’re patient, wait until it’s cool to eat!