I’m taking part in the second Bugs and Fishes Crafty Tutorial Link-up! I took part last year, making a little embroidered felt stocking. This year, I decided on sewing again, but this time using the sewing machine. I chose to use some denim, as I had leftover scraps from some old jeans, and it looks nice and rustic. I was lucky enough to be sent some lovely Christmas ribbons to sample by Fantastic Ribbons, as I am one of their blogging team. The ribbons are lovely twill-style, rustic ribbons which work great with the denim. I have grand Christmas present wrapping plans for the ribbon I have left!
- denim scraps
- Twill-style Christmas ribbon (mine is from the great selection at Fantastic Ribbons)
- sewing machine
- Draw or print out a heart template, and cut out two denim heart.
- Have a play with your sewing machine settings to find a couple of decorative stitches.
- Pin two strips of ribbon across one of your hearts. Using the decorative stitches you chose, stitch decorative rows parallel to the ribbon.
- Fill in the gaps between the ribbon with different types of stitches.
- Sew along the top and bottom edge of each strip of ribbon.
- Pin the two hearts wrong sides together, and sandwich in a loop of ribbon at the top. Sew around, fairly close to the edge. Leave the triangle at the bottom open.
- Stuff your stuffing into the heart, and pin closed. Sew the bottom triangle closed. Trim the edges if needed.
You can find all of the tutorials here at bugs and fishes. There is some lovely, inspiring stuff!
I love beachcombing (also skip diving and scanning the streets in Brighton, where people often leave stuff on the pavement to give away – anything for freebies!) Unfortunately, not much exciting gets washed up in Brighton. So every time I go home to Wales, I try and get some beachcombing in. Last time, I got some great pieces of drift wood which I have used to decorate our living room shelves, as well to build a small decorative woodpile in our (broken) fireplace.
Anyway, I thought I would share this link, as it is by far one of my most pinned pins. There are some really good ideas in there – I would love to make one of the Christmas Trees, but there is not really enough room in my house to store it!
As it has ended up being a cold and wet Bank Holiday, I have been doing some crafting. I finished my ATC for the Very Berry Handmade swap (with time to spare – it needs to be posted in early September). The theme is getting away from it all, and my partner apparently likes nature and animals. I used so many little scraps up to make it, and was aiming for a little bit rough and ready. The bird was cut out from one piece of fabric, and I sewed on a tiny bead for the eye. The background was made out of some of my favourite fabric ever, it had embroidered flowers and leaves all over it. I only had a tiny piece though. The other green and yellow fabric is what I used to make my cat from ages ago.
I ended up using a bit of the Beatrix Potter fabric I used to make bunting from as backing for the bird, and to cut out the “perfect.” I have learnt from bitter experience that my handwriting is not good enough for decorative purposes. I am toying with the idea of getting a set of letter stamps for the future to make printed fabric. The little button I found after going though my button collection to find the right one to finish it off. I then promptly dropped it and lost it under to sofa, but luckily I had a spare!
There are a couple already up on the Very Berry Handmade Flickr page, why not take a look?
All these beautiful fabrics are available to buy on folksy – click on the links below to go to the suppliers shops.
(Clockwise from left)
I felt inspired the other day to just go mad with fabric and see what happened. I vaguely had the idea of making a mini quilt as a present, and picked out some fabrics which looked nice together.
When I had cut them out, I noticed that there were some bits where the fabric was slightly too short, so I patched in some stripes to get the right width. Now, I am not very good with straight lines and tidiness, so the end result is “deliberately” shabby chic. I also seem to have swapped the order of the squares around too!
Once I had done the one side, I was thinking how best to do the back with my random selection of not-quite-big-enough bits of fabric. So I decided to do another scrappy patchwork quilt.
This one has a few more stripes in it, as the pieces of fabric got smaller! As for how to quilt it, I’ve been hand quilting circles. When it is all finished, I will post more pictures, but I’ve put one on my twitter page already (which got retweeted by @LoveSewingMag)!
I’m quite excited to see how it all turns out.
The other day I picked up a copy of a brand new magazine called Love Sewing. It was the first issue, and I will definitely be getting again, as without fail pretty much everything in there is either useful and/or beautiful. There is a rather nice pattern for a simple shift dress, which is begging to be made… Incidentally, Very Berry Handmade has also been inventing some lovely Liberty themed projects which were in the freebie magazine which came with it. Got to love Liberty’s beautiful fabrics.
Anyway, the first project I tackled was the fabric Russian doll trio, which was in the freebie Liberty magazine.
Instead of scraps, I used a set of three fat quarters which I got from Stampin Up a while ago. I have been saving them for something special, as the fabric is so lovely, especially the middle one, which has cameos on it.
Each doll has a different pattern on the back, to make them a bit more exciting, and I used white felt for the faces. I have been wanting to make some fabric Russian dolls for ages, to go on our new bookshelf, but I couldn’t find the right pattern. This pattern was so simple, and there is so much scope to decorate them up in different ways. I’m tempted to make another set sometime soon!