I’m taking part in the second Bugs and Fishes Crafty Tutorial Link-up! I took part last year, making a little embroidered felt stocking. This year, I decided on sewing again, but this time using the sewing machine. I chose to use some denim, as I had leftover scraps from some old jeans, and it looks nice and rustic. I was lucky enough to be sent some lovely Christmas ribbons to sample by Fantastic Ribbons, as I am one of their blogging team. The ribbons are lovely twill-style, rustic ribbons which work great with the denim. I have grand Christmas present wrapping plans for the ribbon I have left!
- denim scraps
- Twill-style Christmas ribbon (mine is from the great selection at Fantastic Ribbons)
- sewing machine
- Draw or print out a heart template, and cut out two denim heart.
- Have a play with your sewing machine settings to find a couple of decorative stitches.
- Pin two strips of ribbon across one of your hearts. Using the decorative stitches you chose, stitch decorative rows parallel to the ribbon.
- Fill in the gaps between the ribbon with different types of stitches.
- Sew along the top and bottom edge of each strip of ribbon.
- Pin the two hearts wrong sides together, and sandwich in a loop of ribbon at the top. Sew around, fairly close to the edge. Leave the triangle at the bottom open.
- Stuff your stuffing into the heart, and pin closed. Sew the bottom triangle closed. Trim the edges if needed.
You can find all of the tutorials here at bugs and fishes. There is some lovely, inspiring stuff!