Last year, I found this brilliant idea to make button Christmas decorations online. I love buttons, so it was a no-brainer to make these. I can’t remember where I got the idea from, and have had a look again and it seems to have vanished – so sorry I can’t credit the original source. I think I found it through the Bonkers about Buttons facebook page, which is where I find most button-related joy.
- Sheet of craft felt in your chosen colours
- Stuffing (only a tiny amount is required, so at a push you could use cotton wool)
- Embroidery floss
- Paper template (This is a circle 6cm across, with 4 small holes in the centre, like a button)
- Small piece of thin ribbon
How to make the decorations
- Trace your button template onto the felt and cut out, and repeat so you have 2 buttons. The central circles can be a bit fiddly.
- Pin in the centre, leaving the edges loose so you can insert a tiny amount of stuffing. Once you have done this, pin all the way around.
- Insert your ribbon loop and pin in place.
- Using the embroidery floss and a simple running stitch, sew all the way around the edge, making sure the ribbon is secure, and sew around each of the 4 small circles in the middle.
- Put on tree, or another option could be to make a garland of lovely buttons.